Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Self Doubt

I have been getting a lot of emails on homeschooling lately. With school starting in a few months a lot of parents are turning to homeschooling and have many questions. Most parents that really want to homeschool their children have one thing holding them back...Self Doubt. Which was my biggest problem and was why it took me three years to finally build up some confidence to give it a try.
I am learning to quiet that voice within me...the voice that is full of self doubt and listen to the small voice that placed homeschooling on my heart along time ago.

Homeschooling is not an area of life where confidence overflows. That's because homeschooling is really "extended parenting." I think of this, when I was just 19 years old having a baby not ever changing a diaper before in my life. I remember looking down at my first newborn, I was overflowed with love for my baby. I was also very scared and did not have overflowing confidence that I would be a great parent. Sure, I loved him and would do anything for him but wasn't sure If I knew HOW. Being a mommy was new to me and I wasn't quite sure how to go about doing everything.
Becoming a homeschool parent felt a lot like when I became a mommy for the first time. It's like being a parent to an infant who does not yet sleep through the night, or of a toddler who is not yet potty-trained. No parents know exactly how those things will be done or how to go about doing them, but we know that we will try, and that we'll do our best with love.
Same with homeschooling, we want to do a good job as homeschooling parents, and I believe we can. Part of the picture is to realize that homeschooling parents feel unsure, and that's normal. We will teach reading and math, and see how it goes. If our children struggle, switch methods and curriculum and figure out what works best for your child. That openness is part of the greatness of homeschooling. Wanting to homeschool, trying it, loving your children, and loving learning are all more important than having confidence. I hope I am able to help and give somewhat of a heathy dose of encouragement. Remember there are so many theories and approaches to homeschooling, but you don't need to be overwhelmed. Pray, research and ask questions.
If you feel God has given you the desire to homeschool, give it a try, you can handle it!

No comments: