Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bottles and Bibles

During Christmas the kids and I wanted to "adopt" a family to buy toys for. About a week before Christmas we met a lady digging for cans outside a Chick-fil-A restaurant. We offered to buy her lunch and started talking to her. Come to find out she was a single mom of 5. She was trying to collect cans so that she could buy presents for her kids for Christmas. I asked if I could get her number and call her. She didn't have a phone so I asked if maybe I could get her address and drop some goodies off for her kids.
You never know these days, but this lady just seemed so sweet.
The kids and I raised some money and had fun shopping for this family. I was a little scared when going to drop off the presents. Not knowing what to expect. My husband wasn't too happy about me going without him. We arrived at a little apartment complex and knocked on the door. The kids and I were greeted with a big hug and eyes full of tears. It was so neat.
The kids work hard at recycling and collecting cans and bottles. They have been bringing trash bags of cans and bottles to their house twice a month since Christmas. Their apartments just happens to be right next to their music class so it's very convenient.
Yesterday the kids brought 6 bags and some bibles...


I'm so proud of my kids:)

6 comments:

Hollie said...

awww, you should def. be proud of them! what a sweet story.
your such a good mommy. it really does feel good to help people. that's a great experience to share with your kids.

Simply Blessed said...

That is awesome. Wasn't it so exciting and fulfilling to buy them Christmas gifts? We did the same through our church and it was one of the best experiences of our life.

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

What a wonderful story. You already know, but you're kids are awesome :-)

Nicholle said...

What great kids! That story was touching

Loni's World said...

Awesome!!!

Kerri said...

That is awesome. Isn't it weird how people are "put" in out paths! You are such a great MOM! I wanna be like you when I grow up:-)