Monday, September 17, 2007

Why Do We Educate?

Why Do We Educate?
Some mothers in our group were talking and it got me thinking....Before we can ever begin to think about how we are to teach our children, we must decide why we are teaching them. What is a well educated child? We were asked, "Why do we want to educate your children?" Most mom's responded with series of reasons on why they did not want to enroll their children in local schools etc. Then they rephrased the question and asked, "Why do you care that your son/daughter knows anything about everything?" Most answers were something along the lines of they wanted their children to make a good living and a good education will help do that. They could afford to live happy lives etc, etc.
Sure it will! But let's take that and move forward 30 years and say your son is now a famous millionaire who can afford to travel the world. You as a mom are sitting in a nursing home. He pays your bills but only visits sporadically. He is happy but you are ignored and miserable. Would you consider yourself a success at the education you have provided? NO
After thinking to myself, "Why do I educate or Why do I care that my children know everything about anything?" Sure I want my kids to be smart and have a great career and afford to do thing that they want, but my children's SUCCESS is not determined by a degree or a dollar. A well educated child is one who knows and loves the Lord their God with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength and loves their neighbor as themselves." ......... and one who will not stick me in a nursing home at all:)

2 comments:

Laura said...

I couldn't agree with you more.

Julie said...

I 100% agree.. Can I send Hannah your way for school?? Love you guys! And miss you tons!!