Thursday, January 10, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen

I had my first doctors appointment the other day (what a quack) whole other blog story. I don't have time for... Let's just say I'm in search for another doctor, a doctor that is ok with women having more than two children.
While walking into the doctors office there was a young man walking in front of me he opened the door walked in a let the door shut right on my face...Where's the gentlemen anymore?????
This goes hand in hand with an article I just read.

After reading "The Duties of Parents" by J.C. Ryle I was reminded of what we are doing and working towards with our children. It is always good to be reminded of the big picture to keep you consistent in the day to day discipline/training of the little minds.
I am trying my best to raise Ladies and Gentlemen. How to treat the opposite sex as they grow and mature and how they are to be treated. I have started teaching both my boys, ladies first etc.. Now we are starting to help the boys understand how to treat girls and eventually women. If I start them out at 2 and 8 with their sister a few things will happen I hope will happen. It will become second nature to them and Faith will understand how she should be treated as she grows into women hood.
We are training the boys in opening doors for their sister and other ladies and also helping ladies carry items. If they see a women carrying something they are learning to immediately stop what they are doing and help. That is the goal anyway. I want them to be aware of their surroundings, and what others are doing and how they may be of service to others. I'm sure I will be reminding them over and over, I just hope I have the strength and courage to stay consistent.

1 comment:

Jo Jo said...

Hi Bridget,
I am so sorry that you were treated so horribly on your dr.'s appt. But I do want to commend you on teaching your boys the virtue of chivalry and also teaching Faith how a man should treat her. I am going to do this with my children as well. My dad did it with all of his children and it really paid off. My brothers all had to open doors for me and let my mom and I in the house first. It was little things like that that taught them to treat women with respect and taught me not to settle for anything less! If I ever went on a date with a guy who didn't open a door for me, I never went on a second date with him!!! That might be a little extreme but the point is that my father was consistent and so I just want to encourage you to be consistent as well because it is well worth it!