Wednesday, December 23, 2009

We Made It!



we didn't let the snow stop us (or the blizzard!)

or the deer in the road...

or any of his friends......



or the small tunnels and expensive toll roads. We got here honking our loud horn at all the crazy city drivers...
But we're here in NYC for Christmas!


Our very 1st white Christmas!









It's pretty cold, but so pretty this time of year!








We may be in the busiest city but I still feel like we are escaping and missing all the hustle and bustle. We sure miss our family, especially at Christmas. I miss my Grandma's cookies:( I miss all the traditions we usually do. Frost cookies with Grandma and all the other things we do every year. But there is something different about this year. Usually I am running around like a mad mama trying to get everyone something cute to wear for Christmas. Matching Christmas PJ's (all the other crazy stuff on my tradition to do list) All the shopping, baking, decorating and entertaining etc...It all seems like a blur and before I know it it's over. And I had no time to focus on what really matters. This year because we aren't doing the normal Christmas craziness, our family has had time to really enjoy this time of year. Really focus on Jesus. With all the driving, I've been able to invest time that has given this holiday new meaning and a true sense of joy! I know that blessings come from being with family and friends and reaching out to others but I think that we get so busy we end up missing out on the personal blessing that comes from spending time quietly resting alone in the Christ child's presence.
I'm glad God took me out of the crazy hustle and bustle and slowed me down a bit (even if we ended up NYCha!)
not sure if all that made sense,but it did to me.. ha!
I'm just usually really stressed this time of year and I feel so at peace:)




Merry Christmas from our family to yours

The Ryan's of the Road:)

15 comments:

Heather said...

I'm sooo jealous!! I know you guys are going to have a blast! We sure miss you and are still hoping and praying that your big RV will pull up outside our house again! ;-) Glad you guys got there safe! We all miss you! Come back!! Love u!

Valerie said...

what a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing. love keeping up with you guys. :)
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

Enjoy your first white CHRISTmas. Have fun and drive safe. God bless.

Valerie said...

Wow, look at all that snow!
Merry Christmas

Brianna said...

How fun! I know I'm not as stressed out this year with 7 less people to buy for haha. Can't wait to celebrate when you guys get back. :)

We miss you guys!

Heather said...

I love seeing the kids in all our stuff! It's like a little piece of us went with you guys! Hope everyone is staying warm and having a great time! I finally blogged about your visit here :D

http://heatherstar314.blogspot.com/2009/12/roadschooling-ryans.html

Miss you guys!

Bianca said...

Yeah!!! Congrats :)

Merry Christmas, Ryan family!

Unknown said...

How fun is that? MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Leah said...

Thanks for sharing all your experiences! Your family is amazing and you are so blessed! I love seeing all the pictures. How fortunate you are to be able to travel the country! You guys are beautiful! Keep shining for Jesus!

Leah said...

Thanks for sharing all your experiences! Your family is amazing and you are so blessed! I love seeing all the pictures. How fortunate you are to be able to travel the country! You guys are beautiful! Keep shining for Jesus!

Melissa said...

Wow! Great pictures. I am really enjoying the chance to read about your journey across this beautiful country. Thanks for sharing. I love the new blog design too. Merry Christmas!

Susie said...

Yea for NYC! WE just got home from there, we were there until Christmas Day and it was extremely magical! God bless you guys!

GiGi said...

AHh, home sweet home (for me) My hometown before I became a southern gal. ENjoy every second!
XoxoGapGirl

kristina16marie said...

hi bridget! your post made me think of the advent conspiracy. have you heard of it? i first heard about it last year and was excited to "participate" in our own way this year. check out the video that talks about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqqj1v-ZBU

we miss you guys & are praying for you all the time! safe travels & keep posting those beautiful pics!

~nina~

Rae said...

Hi! I am a new reader. I am really enjoying your blog. It sounds so interesting! I would love to be able to do what you all are doing.
This is my 1st year of homeschooling my 8 & 6 year old daughters.
Best of luck to you. I look forward to seeing the USA through you.